Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My first bag from "The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam"

I FINALLY received The Bag Making Bible that I ordered back in October. It's a long story... Anyway, I really like this book. You can make eight different bags with many variations. I love the explanations that go with each pattern: insert a zipper, make piped handles, darts, gussets, etc... This is information I could have gleaned from the Internet, but is great to have in one place!
After perusing the book for a few days, I decided to jump straight to the Great Getaway Bag (section 6). I made a "prototype" out of cheap cotton to gauge the size of the bag (finished bag dimensions are not included in the directions). Wow, it's huge! Love it!
So I looked for possible fabric combinations in my stash and this is what I came up with:

The pink and green home decoration weight fabric is for the exterior, the green canvas is the lining.
The pattern pieces are full size and very easy to handle. I first traced them onto wax paper, and then onto posterboard- it lasts longer and is easier to trace around.
Of course, I had to alter the design a bit: I did not like the handles as they were described in the book, so I made two 1 1/2" wide handles long enough to wear over the shoulder. I also modified the closure on the front pocket and added a double pocket in the back.
With Lisa's great explanations and tips, the zipper top was a BREEZE to put together - and it looks great...at least  I think so :)
I haven't put the lining together yet, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Here are some more pictures:
The front
The front pocket

The back
Oh, and did I mention that I am making this bag for my best friend? It's a surprise :)
I can't wait to see her face when I give her the bag.
I have other fabric combination ideas that I can't wait to try for this pattern. I will try to post one in my Etsy shop within the next two weeks. Check it out at bagdujour.etsy.com
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think of the bag...



3 comments:

  1. Your bag looks great! I am getting ready to make this one for myself. Hoping to take it on a trip in 5 days lol. I may have questions since yours turned out so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for your comment :)
    Yes, please email me if you have questions.
    I made another bag- with a couple of modifications- that I just sold on Etsy. Take a look for some ideas :)
    http://www.etsy.com/transaction/51288016
    Take care,
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I may take you up on your offer lol. Getting started now! Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete