Saturday, March 23, 2013

My Alabama Chanin Bag

I have had quite a bit of fun planning my Alabama Chanin projects... Since I have owned Natalie's books for a couple of months, I have been poring over them and making lists of projects to make.
I started with a napkin to take to school, in the spirit of reusing things and reducing the usage of paper napkins. I keep the napkin in my drawer and bring it home from time to time to toss in the laundry. It is light pink with a gray border. Sorry no pix :(
The next project I picked was the tote bag because I wanted to practice the reverse applique technique. Here are a couple of pictures of the work in progress:
 I traced the stencil with permanent marker and stitched around the shapes with dark gray embroidery floss. I cheated a bit by using my own pattern for the tote- a folded over piece of fabric with square corners. I also used my brand new serger for the project...worked like a charm...

A close-up of the design

The final product

I finished the top with a topstitch- by hand, if you please- in dark gray embroidery floss. I did not split the thread, so the stitch makes more of a statement, while providing added support for the handles.

So, what have you been making lately?

2 comments:

  1. Amei, Estou adorei os bordados de Alabama,gostaria de .aprender., Moro no Brasil.Sera q tem um jeito de vc mandar
    Kem pra mim os nomes do tecido e linhas e acessorios.Gosto muito de bordar e sou Muito prendada.Faço concerto de roupas para ..ganhar dinheiro e gostaria aqui no Brasil trabalhar com bordados de .Alabama.email. jamaiste-esquecerei@hotmail.com...um grande abraços a todos e parabens Pelos belos trabalho q vejo no aplicativo Pinterest

    ReplyDelete