Friday, August 5, 2011

It's already August...

Hard to believe... Summer went so fast...
After a not-so-relaxing vacation in my hometown, I am back and gearing up for the school year. After being away for a while from the hustle and bustle of my life here, I always come up with the best decisions: take it easy, take better care of yourself, life is not just about work, yada, yada, yada...So, this year being no exception, after reading an old article about detoxing while waiting for my mom at her PT's office this past July, I checked out a couple of books on the subject at the local library: Clean by Alejandro Junger, M.D., 3-Day Cleanse by Zoe Sakoutis and Erica Huss, Clean Food  by Terry Walters, and The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose.
Clean explains in much detail the cause and effect of toxins in the human body - scary! Junger also describes his own experience as an overweight, depressed, overwrought doctor, and his solution to regain his health. Very interesting read!
The other books describe the detoxing process and propose a plethora of recipes for juices as well as full meals- the clean way.
One of the necessary tools for these cleanses is a juicer. After doing some research online, I ordered a Breville Compact Juicer from Best Buy. As soon as I brought it home, I had to try it. This juicer is a fabulous little machine! It is very easy to use, makes juice in a jiffy, and is very easy to clean. My first juice was one organic apple and one organic carrot. Just delicious! The resulting pulp is bone dry and ready for the compost pile. When Julie came home, we made another juice with again an apple, a carrot, and some thawed blueberries she did not finish for lunch. The resulting juice was very tasty, but the blueberries were very soft and some of them ended up whole in the pulp collector. Fresh or still frozen fruit is probably best.
I am ready to go on to the "green" juices, with vegetables. More on that later...
Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment