Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tabouleh

When the temperature rises, I love to make refreshing tabouleh with organic summer produce. My own version of tabouleh will serve 12.
You will need:
- One 12 oz. box of Organic Whole Wheat Couscous
- Three medium to large ripe tomatoes
- One large cucumber
- One large red pepper
- One large sweet onion
- Three lemons
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup raisins, softened (optional)

Wash and dry the tomatoes, the red pepper and the mint. Peel the cucumber and onion.
Chop the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, and onion. Place in large bowl.
Juice the lemons. Add juice to chopped vegetables along with the salt.
Let sit for about 45 mn in the refrigerator. The vegetables will render some of their juice. DO NOT DRAIN. Add olive oil and chopped mint  to vegetable mixture and stir well.
Add couscous and mix until combined. Add raisins if desired.
Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
The couscous will absorb the moisture from the vegetables, so there is no need to cook it first. After two hours taste the couscous to make sure it is soft enough. If not, add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to the mixture.
I love the sweet chewy addition of raisins to counterbalance the tartness of the dish, but not everyone in my family shares my point of view, so I add raisins to my own plate.



I just made this recipe a few days ago and I thought I would share it since it is so easy to make as well as healthy and delicious! Now back to the studio where a bunch of iPad sleeves await :)

No comments:

Post a Comment