Monday, August 8, 2011

Laundry Day

Back in the old days, Monday was laundry day. I suppose people wanted to start the week off with clean clothes. Well, this is the 21st century, it's Monday and I have piles of laundry to do. So, let's get started.
I have a wonderful front loading washer and its matching dryer. But today, I am going to go green and not use the dryer. In my neighborhood, hanging out the wash is not very well looked upon, it's only tolerated, as long as there is no permanent structure in the backyard, like a clothesline - Heavens forbid!
So when I want to dry my laundry outside, I tie a clothesline from tree, to stairs, to deck, and when I am finished, I just take it down.
I love to see my organic cotton sheets billowing in the breeze
Today the weather was perfect, sunny and a little breezy. I did three loads of wash - using Ecos with lavender- and hung everything outside.  There is something so satisfying in watching bedsheets flutter in the wind. I always feel that my laundry is cleaner and  safer for having been out in the sunshine for a couple of hours. And the wonderful smell....Mmmm...

I always pick an inconspicuous corner to hang laundry, so the neighbors won't get upset. Here we are surronded by scrub oak.

By not using my dryer today, I saved more than four hours of electric energy. I have no idea how that translates into dollars (pennies no doubt), but one thing is for sure, today I felt that I did something good for the Earth, and THAT is priceless.


Simple wooden clothespin


Thank you for reading.
Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment